The PEP4U program has a mission which is to improve the Quality of Life for
those living with Parkinson’s Disease through Exercise, Education and Peer Support. Research has proved that exercise helps everyone’s health, attitude
But, for people with Parkinson’s Disease, some studies have also shown that exercise is essential in managing their disease. Regular exercise is not only crucial for maintaining and improving mobility, flexibility, balance, and range of motion, but, according to numerous worldwide studies, in addition to helping with movement, studies currently being conducted are showing exercise can assist in slowing the progression of Parkinson’s Disease (PD).
HERE’S THE LATEST FROM PEP4U COMMUNITY:
** PEP4U WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING CHANGES OCCURRING FROM SEPT. 3 TILL OCT. 17. **
– THE YMCA WILL BE CLOSED FOR ALL CLASSES EXCEPT CYCLING CLASS, WHICH IS RELATIVELY NEW, AND MEETS ON WED. AT 2 PM. THE ROADS WILL BE SHUT OFF FROM ENTRY TO THE YMCA EXCEPT ON WED. WHEN CYCLERS WILL PARK THEIR CARS AT THE ENTRANCE AND GOLF CARTS WILL TAKE CYCLERS TO THE Y. SO, INSTEAD OF MEETING AT THE YMCA ON CROWN VALLEY ALL OTHER CLASSES WILL MEET AT THE SENIOR CENTER IN LAGUNA NIGUEL AND THE COMMUNITY HALL IN THE LAGUNA NIGUEL CITY HALL. FROM 9/3 TO 9/10
– CLASSES WILL START AT THE LAGUNA NIGUEL SENIOR CENTER ON THE CORNER OF MOULTON AND ALISO CREEK RD.
– FOR ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT ERNIE SEIDEL AT 949 697-3104.
SAVE THE DATE – Fifth Anniversary Gala – Sunday October 27, 5 pm to 8 pm at Crestavilla
Enjoy a sunset soiree with friends, featuring gourmet foods, drinks and live entertainment. Proceeds will help PEP4U to cover expenses and help grow our program to other locations in Orange County.
Advance ticket sales and sponsorships are now available on our website at www.pep4u.org
Please spread the word, we have attached the donor outreach letters that you can use to forward to your friends and family! We also have Save-the-Date cards available at class – grab a few to invite anyone who might enjoy to join us!
Construction at Crown Valley Park (Laguna Niguel YMCA):
There will be some upcoming temporary changes to the access to the YMCA building, for 6 weeks starting in September. A separate email will be sent out to our PEP4U gym participants, notifying you of some location changes for our classes during this time period.
PEP4U Support Group:
Every third Monday of the month following the Yoga class, facilitated by our own Yollie Mancino. All participants and care partners are encouraged to attend! Next meeting: August 19
Attached you will find two easy-read articles about PD motor symptoms from a recent PDN newsletter – thank you Ernie Atkins for always keeping us in the loop on new research being published!
Fall Prevention Workshop Sept 21 at the Regency Senior Living Community, Laguna Woods
Featuring Speaker Claire McLean, PT, DPT, NCS
See Flyer with more details and registration information.
Tai Chi class now being held on new days: Tuesday & Thursday, 10 – 11 am
Please see attached flyer for details
- Shopping at Ralphs or Amazon? Please remember to sign up to support PEP4U and PAOC! It only takes 2 minutes, and it’s free money for us, so we are able to keep our program running… see attached flyer for details.
- Swipe your Silver Sneakers card every time you come to class! Even though YMCA membership is not required to participate in PEP4U classes, if you do have the card, please swipe it as you enter, so the YMCA will receive contributions. They have been supportive to us, let’s keep supporting them
New Support Group:
PEP4U is now offering a Support Group for all participants. We meet once a month on the third Monday of the month following the Yoga class in the large gym at the Laguna Niguel YMCA (next date: July 15). Group discussion will begin at 3:15 (approx.) when Yoga ends and will last for approximately 45 minutes. Various topics will be discussed. This is merely a get-to-know you gathering which will provide an avenue to discuss various topics, exchange ideas, feelings, opportunities, symptoms support and general mutual experiences. The group will follow the guidelines from the Parkinson’s Foundation Support Group manual and will be facilitated by Yollie Mancino. Care partners and participants are encouraged to attend. All are welcome!
Pedaling for PD class off to a great start:
Our new Wednesday class will challenge your cardio-vascular system with supervised fast-paced cycling! Research shows many benefits for people with PD (article attached here for your reference).
Medical release and heart rate monitor required, contact us for more information on how to register for this class.
PEP4U Sponsorship donor program